[protege-discussion] Proxy and Authentication

Fabrizio fabrizio.antonelli at telecomitalia.it
Wed Mar 7 01:09:05 PST 2007

Alexandre Passant <alex <at> passant.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late answer,
>
> On 2/20/07, Fabrizio <fabrizio.antonelli <at> telecomitalia.it> wrote:
> > That's the solution:
> >
> > If you are using a proxy to access the Internet then add the following as one
> > single (!) line to the file Protege.lax in the Protégé installation directory
> > and replace YOUR_PROXY_''X'' with the respective data for your place. If your
> > proxy is not password protected leave the two last options out.
> >
> > lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Dhttp.proxySet=true
> > -Dhttp.proxyHost=YOUR_PROXY_HOST -Dhttp.proxyPort=YOUR_PROXY_PORT
> > -Dhttp.proxyUser=YOUR_PROXY_USER -Dhttp.proxyPassword=YOUR_PROXY_PASSWORD
>
> That's what I tried, but still got a 407 error (proxy authentication failed).
> Did it work fine for you ?
>
> The only way I found until now to make Java use proxy auth is what I
> mentionned before [1] but need implies to recompile the app :/
>
> Best,
>
> Alex.
>
> [1] http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip42.html
>
> > Cheers,
> > Fabrizio

Hi,
I had such problem too. After installing Protege the protege.lax file is around
5kb and each section is commented. I tried to insert the proxy row at this stage
and it didn't work.
When you open the first project and exit Protege, the protege.lax changes and
becomes 2kb: it contains all the Protege settings in a batch of rows and the
comments disappear. Insert the proxy row (as described above, using your proxy
settings) wherever in the file, paying attention not to split it in multiple
lines and possibly inserting the IP of the proxy server instead of its name.
That worked with me, hope it works with you too.

Cheers,
Fabrizio