[protege-discussion] DISPLAY_SLOT problem

William Bug William.Bug at DrexelMed.edu
Sat Mar 10 09:23:24 PST 2007

Hi Tania,

Sorry for the inappropriate post.  I guess I'm just way over-
subscribed on various lists and crossed wires on where to post for
this sort of question.  I'll keep my posts constrained to the Protege-
OWL list from now on.

Just to clarify the issue for the curious on this list who may have
read it, I do believe I understand what the outcome of setting any
AnnotationProperty to the DISPLAY_SLOT should be across several
Protege-OWL features. My problem comes down to the behavior being
different when I set the "LANG" attribute for that AnnotationProperty
as opposed to when the LANG attribute is left unset.  When unset, the
behavior of several Protege-OWL features to setting an
AnnotationProperty other than :NAME or rdfs:label to the DISPLAY_SLOT
is as it should be according to my understanding.  When the LANG
attribute is set for a given class - to any value, as far as I can
tell from my ad hoc testing - then the value of that
AnnotationProperty for that class is not as advertised.

This is obviously a problem for an ontology that seeks to include
internationalization as a part of their internal lexical support.  In
fact, to fully support internationalization, you need to be able to
set the DISPLAY_SLOT to a particular localized language for a given
property - a feature the OWLDoc plugin appears to be designed to
support.

Regarding the protege:defaultLanguage ontology meta-data
AnnotationProperty - thanks for pointing out the inconsistency across
our ontology files (the BIRNLex ontology is modularized into a
collection of OWL files imported according to a specified
hierarchy).  This property turned out to be causing a few problems
with various aspects of the integration of the modules.  I tried to
fix those problems by including this property in each of the OWL
files and setting it to the same value (either 'en' or the more
proper according to DC specs 'us-EN').  Neither worked.  If I removed
this property from ALL the OWL files, then the import-related
problems did go away.

Thanks for redirecting me to the proper list.

Cheers,
Bill

On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Tania Tudorache wrote:

> William,
>
> The browser slot is working fine in the OWL ontologies that you have
> given as example. What version of Protege did you use? We recommend
> that
> you use the latest release 3.2.1.
>
> If you set the browser slot to another slot than the name or
> rdfs:label,
> for example, core:pref-label, then the same rules for computing the
> browser text apply as the ones for rdfs:label and name. I just tested
> that and it works in Protege 3.2.1.
>
> One thing that I've observed in your ontologies, was the the
> protege:defaultLanguage was set to "en-US" instead of just "en". Maybe
> that was the problem.
>
> Please ask in future OWL related questions on the OWL mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
> Tania
>

> William Bug wrote:
>> Sorry to be posting this a second time, but I'm in the midst of a
>> meeting, where it would be really good to be able to display the
>> "preferred labels" for all the classes in our OWL files.
>>
>> Am I getting something wrong here?  Can other folks pick a class
>> annotation property as the DISPLAY_SLOT and get it to display in the
>> class browser as the class name regardless of whether the LANG
>> attribute is set to 'en' for that property or not?
>>
>> Many thanks ahead of time for any assistance others can provide in
>> solving this problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bill
>>

>> On Mar 8, 2007, at 1:22 AM, William Bug wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Protege Support folks,
>>>
>>> We have been having difficulty using the rdfs:label field as a
>>> DISPLAY_SLOT, when the language attribute is set to "en".  For
>>> classes where language is left blank, that field value is used as
>>> the
>>> display name.
>>>
>>> Is this the expected behavior, when setting the DISPLAY_SLOT to a
>>> field other than the class :NAME?  I don't know whether this
>>> matters,
>>> but this for an imported ontology, but I see the same behavior for
>>> classes that exist within the OWL file itself.
>>>
>>> If you would likely to examine this directly both of these
>>> ontologies
>>> are available online:
>>> main ontology file:
>>> http://www.nbirn.net/birnlex/1.2/BIRNLex-Investigation.owl
>>> imported file: http://obi.sourceforge.net/ontology/OBI.owl
>>>
>>> I've attached two screen shots below demonstrating what I mean.
>>> These are illustrative examples, but this behavior is observed
>>> across
>>> the entire ontology.
>>>
>>> Many thanks for your help with this issue.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> <Picture 15.png>
>>> <Picture 16.png>
>>>

>>> Bill Bug
>>> Senior Research Analyst/Ontological Engineer
>>>
>>> Laboratory for Bioimaging  & Anatomical Informatics
> [...]
>>> 610 457 0443 (mobile)