[protege-discussion] DISPLAY_SLOT problem

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 14 16:48:55 PDT 2007

Hi William,

William Bug wrote:
> Just to clarify the issue for the curious on this list who may have
> read it, I do believe I understand what the outcome of setting
> any AnnotationProperty to the DISPLAY_SLOT should be across several
> Protege-OWL features. My problem comes down to the behavior being
> different when I set the "LANG" attribute for that AnnotationProperty
> as opposed to when the LANG attribute is left unset.  When unset, the
> behavior of several Protege-OWL features to setting an
> AnnotationProperty other than :NAME or rdfs:label to the DISPLAY_SLOT
> is as it should be according to my understanding.  When the LANG
> attribute is set for a given class - to any value, as far as I can
> tell from my ad hoc testing - then the value of
> that AnnotationProperty for that class is not as advertised.

It would help if you could give me an example from the ontologies that
you have sent in your previous post. If there is a bug in the display
text of classes when the language is set on the browser slot, we should
fix it.

> Regarding the protege:defaultLanguage ontology meta-data
> AnnotationProperty - thanks for pointing out the inconsistency across
> our ontology files (the BIRNLex ontology is modularized into a
> collection of OWL files imported according to a specified hierarchy).
> This property turned out to be causing a few problems with various
> aspects of the integration of the modules.  I tried to fix those
> problems by including this property in each of the OWL files and
> setting it to the same value (either 'en' or the more proper according
> to DC specs 'us-EN').  Neither worked.  If I removed this property
> from ALL the OWL files, then the import-related problems did go away.

I forgot to mention that you should set the protege:default language
only on the top level ontology, so on the ontology that imports the
others. Otherwise, the display text may not work correctly. I think this
is also documented on the wiki.

And another thing that I have not tested before is setting the language
to "us-EN" rather than just "en". I am not sure that this works in
Protege. You should try first to set the default language to "en" and
see if it works that way.

Tania

> Thanks for redirecting me to the proper list.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
>
> On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Tania Tudorache wrote:
>
>> William,
>>
>> The browser slot is working fine in the OWL ontologies that you have
>> given as example. What version of Protege did you use? We recommend that
>> you use the latest release 3.2.1.
>>
>> If you set the browser slot to another slot than the name or rdfs:label,
>> for example, core:pref-label, then the same rules for computing the
>> browser text apply as the ones for rdfs:label and name. I just tested
>> that and it works in Protege 3.2.1.
>>
>> One thing that I've observed in your ontologies, was the the
>> protege:defaultLanguage was set to "en-US" instead of just "en". Maybe
>> that was the problem.
>>
>> Please ask in future OWL related questions on the OWL mailing list.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tania
>>

>> William Bug wrote:
>>> Sorry to be posting this a second time, but I'm in the midst of a
>>> meeting, where it would be really good to be able to display the
>>> "preferred labels" for all the classes in our OWL files.
>>>
>>> Am I getting something wrong here?  Can other folks pick a class
>>> annotation property as the DISPLAY_SLOT and get it to display in the
>>> class browser as the class name regardless of whether the LANG
>>> attribute is set to 'en' for that property or not?
>>>
>>> Many thanks ahead of time for any assistance others can provide in
>>> solving this problem.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bill

>>> Bill Bug
>>> Senior Research Analyst/Ontological Engineer
>>>
>>> Laboratory for Bioimaging  & Anatomical Informatics
>>> www.neuroterrain.org
>>> Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
>>> Drexel University College of Medicine
>>> 2900 Queen Lane