[protege-discussion] Excel Import

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon Mar 19 12:13:13 PDT 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 5:46 AM, Ulfert Rist wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anybody have experience with the technique of importing Excel
> Sheets into a given Protégé OWL Ontology (where the mapping is
> straight forward, say for lists)? Is there a plugin available? I
> could not find one.

I'm not sure the mapping really is straight-forward, since there
would have to be some conventions established.

In any case, it would not be hard to write some stand-alone code that
does just that sort of thing.  It could then be added to a tab with a
little bit more effort.

Standalone code would just need to:
    o  Load a project
    o  Read in lines from the file
    o    Parse the lines
    o    Make the additions
    o  Save the project

General Protege suggestion:
It would be nice to have something on the import side that is more
analogous to the export plugin interface.  The difference from the
current import plugin is that sometimes one would like to be able to
augment an existing ontology from some external files, rather than
creating an entire project, which is what the current import plugins do.

While one can do this as a tab widget, it seems that this is heavier
weight than is really needed.  Having just a file dialog, perhaps
with some File dialog accessories for options would be enough.

-Tom.