[protege-discussion] Add instances to multislot

Thane Hall Thane.Hall at thales-fres.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 02:29:51 PDT 2007

I am new to Jess and JessTab in Protege but having worked this
(relatively simple?) problem now for 12 hours and having read everything
I can possible find on the internet I am now issuing a cry for help!

I am trying to link two sets of instances (contained in separate class
hierarchies) together with the contents of an imported table
(Link_Table). I have a multislot (type instance) "linksToS" in all of
the instance ?u objects which I want to contain references to the
relevant instance ?s objects. The LHS identifies the correct instances
that need to be linked (U_Trial identifies the right ?u object by
searching on Object_Id and S_Trial identifies the right ?s object by
searching on ID ) but I can't get the multislot to populate. I have
tried more or less everything and the only partial success I had was
using 'slot-set' but that clearly isn't going to populate a multi-slot
with multiple instance references. I think I should be using either
create$ and/or modify and/or slot-insert$ but I can't get any of these
to work.

It must be possible to do this in Jess. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

My current best Jess guess is:

(defrule MAIN::link_matching_instances

   ?f <- (object (is-a Link_Table) (U_Trial ?m) (S_Trial ?n))

   ?u <- (object (Object_Id ?m))

   ?s <- (object (ID ?n))

   =>

   (printout t "Matching entries: " ?u ?s crlf)

   (modify ?u (linksToS ?s)))

Thanks in advance.

Thane