[protege-discussion] Protege in server mode works fine, but some questions remain

Jens Selbach Jens.Selbach at loyaltypartner.com
Tue Mar 27 12:09:53 PDT 2007

Hi all,
today I managed to set up three individual protege installations
(development, test, production) on a single Linux server.
They all have their own rmiregistry, their own database user
in Oracle and their own place for binaries and plugins.

Each installation has it's own rmiregistry on a different port:
production on 1099 (default)
test on 1097
development on 1095

I managed to import my ontology and also metaproject into
the database.

Everything works almost perfekt so far. I can connect to each
environment, get the right project list and can edit the
ontology.

Now question 1:
---------------
I did not manage to create a read only user. Although this
is a feature of the meta project database, it does not work.
Neither via a group nor direct membership of readers. I can
even write when user is not member of any group and has no
access rights set on the project!

What is wrong? When opening the remote connection, I see
these messages on console:

WARNING: Missing map instance: cmdb_prd_db_ProjectKB_Instance_110034 --
Property
MapUtil.getMap()
WARNING: null -- WidgetUtilities.isSuitableExport()
WARNING: null -- WidgetUtilities.isSuitableExport()
INFO: UI display time = 2 sec

question 2:
-----------
Having a server based installation, I could still use the project
.pprj or meta project .pprj files on my desktop computer to open
direct JDBC connection to the database.

Is this a save thing to do e.g. to change users or access rights
in meta project?

Or to say it different. Using server mode and database backend,
is it save to make direct database changes via a remote JDBC
connection. This is something different than using the Java API
or remote connection, because it bypasses the Protege server, isn't it?

... one litte question 3:
As I run up to three Protege servers now. What is the recommended
heap size for a server based installation. Considering few users,
does it need more than client installation or less, because it
does not cache data?

Regards,
Jens.