[protege-discussion] Making a case for Protégé

Paul Johnston paul.a.johnston at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 00:32:04 PDT 2007

Hi

I work at Manchester University helping with IT requirements for research projects within the Faculty of Humanities

What we mainly end up putting together is databases with some kind of interface.

In a couple of cases I have suggested an ontology would be a possibility but generally get the reaction "a what" or "not sure if that is okay shouldn't we stick to what we have always done"

Does anyone have an accessible piece of research out using Protégé there which I could show people to get a feel of what you can do with Protégé ?

Something towards the Social Sciences, Literature or Linguistics would be great but not essential.

Research proposals are often quite vague in as much as "it would be nice if something was made available" but I often think a straight database limits people to asking the questions that were initially thought by the research and they are often not reused again :-(

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Paul

Paul Johnston

Humanities Development

Manchester University

Lewis Library

Dover Street

0161 275 1396

Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better idiot-proof programs,

while the Universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots.

So far the Universe is winning.

Rich Cook