[protege-discussion] Welcome to the "protege-discussion" mailing list

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 31 22:01:36 PDT 2007

Hadar,

Hadar Wayn wrote:
> Refering to your answer using the Protege DB backend, I would like to
> ask you if you can *exapnd* a little your answer. I'm using Protege
> only a month, so I'm not familiar a lot with it and the "Backend DB",
> and also my knowledge in Databases isn't deep enough.
The standard Protege installation gives you the ability to save the
ontology you have created in a number of different formats.  Notice when
you click on the File | New Project... menu item, Protege asks you to
choose the project type.  The list of types includes things like
"Protege Database" and "OWL / RDF Database" (if you are using
Protege-OWL), which allows you to save to a database.
> My goal is to convert the Ontologies (Protege-Frames or OWL) to MySQL,
> so I could use this DB with another application.
If you have already created an ontology in Protege that is not in a
database, you can use the File | Convert Project to Format... menu item
to convert it to the Protege database format.

If you want to access your ontology from another application, you can
also use the Protege API to do this.  The API is documented on our Web site:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html

Jennifer