[protege-discussion] Enable Journaling in Project Options

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Fri Apr 4 02:51:42 PDT 2008

   Hi everyone,

   I've been trying to understand more about what the 'Enable
Journaling' option in Project Configuration can do for me. I have
found some documentation of PromptTab that says that Prompt can use
the Journaling to show who has done what in a Project during a diff.

   As some background to why I am looking at this - maybe it won't
help me - I am trying to find a way of controlling the amount of
change information that is being created in my Project.

   Currently, I am using 'Track Changes' and Collaborative Protege
running on a server with a handful (around 3) concurrent users. The
project is using a MySQL database as the framestore and this is
working well. However, the annotations file for my project (that is
tracking all the detailed change history) is just that - a file. The
problem I am having is that I am getting a very large number changes
in my project and so in periods of high useage (the team using the
project all day making changes to the model, for example) my
annotations_ file can reach 4-5MB in a matter of a couple of days.
Because this is a file, it must be periodically saved and the
contents held in memory, so everything slows down as the file gets
big. If I let it get too big, I can get out of memory exceptions on
the server, which can really cause problems.

   I may be seeing a slightly 'amplified' number of changes going into
the model because I am making extensive use of a slot widget that I
wrote that automatically names String slots based on patterns that
include the Browser text of other slots in an instance but the
problem would bite me at some point either way. Currently, I am
regularly archiving off the annotations project, purging the
timestamps and change instances and then continuing with a "purged"
change history.

   Ideally, if the annotations file could be stored in the database
instead of a file then the problem is more easily managed (and
becomes purely about storage).

   So, I'm wondering whether enabling journaling either on project
would give me the change log (so I can see who's made what change) or
on the annotations file would improve the way that that is persisted.

   Any information about what the purpose of the 'Enable Journaling'
option is and how it affects project storage would be gratefully
received. As would any suggestions/experience of managing the
annotations file when using the very useful Collaborative Protege
plugin.

   Thanks very much for your help

- HEAD OF TECHNICAL ARCHITECTURE
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd