[protege-discussion] Versioning in Client Server Mode

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 17 17:44:36 PDT 2008

Kristina, Jonathan,

Currently, there is no support for archive/revert in client-server mode.
It is not clear what these functions should do in a multi-user setting.

For instance, the archive could take place either on the server or on
the client. From the implementation point of view, it is easier to make
it on the server. This would impact the performance of the server, while
the archive is being done. However, the bigger problem is the revert
operation. Imagine how unhappy the other online users would be if at
some point you would revert the ontology to a previous version and all
their changes would disappear. Revert should probably be controlled by a
policy that would allow only some privileged users to do the operation.

I've added an enhancement request for supporting the archive/revert in
multi-user mode. Probably we'll be able to implement the archive on the
server pretty easily, but the revert will require more work:

https://bmir-gforge.stanford.edu/gf/project/protege3owl/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=314

Tania