[protege-discussion] Enable Journaling in Project Options

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 17 23:57:44 PDT 2008

Jonathan,

Sorry I did not read this message before answering your more recent post.

I see what the problem is. Indeed the annotation ontology becomes very
large even with a moderate number of changes. I am not sure whether you
saw the new feature of the Changes Tab, that allows you to delete all
change instances from a menu [1].

I think the solution would be to store the changes ontology in a
database, which I did not have time to implement yet, although I have
promised this a longer time ago :) I was testing some code that would
allow you to store the annotation ontology in a database. I still want
to test, whether this fix will have an impact on performance. If
everything goes fine, the fix will be available in the next beta build.
I can also send you before that a jar that you can test.

The journal is a very detailed log file that is not very easy to
analyze, because it is at very low level. Some operations that a user
sees as atomic, might be recorded as several smaller changes. The size
of the journal file grows pretty quickly. Users may experience a slow
down at write operations, although this may not be noticeable for normal
UI operation.

Tania

[1]: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Changes_Tab