[protege-discussion] Protege & DataMaster

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 18 11:09:26 PDT 2008

Hi Gudo,

The current implementation of DataMaster very much builds on its
predecessor DataGenie, which was written for Protege-Frames. Since
Protege 4.0:
- uses a different, pure OWL API,
- has a different plug-in architecture than Protege 3.x,
- does not have an implicit mechanism to deal with RDF ontologies (like
Relational.OWL, which is currently used by DatMaster)
it seems that porting DataMaster to Protege 4.0 would basically imply to
rewrite it, where the only thing that could be reused is its logic. This
work is estimated to take about 3-4 weeks to be completed. We realize
that DataMaster in Protege 4.0 would be a very useful thing, and we
would be happy to implement it, but we did not have it in our current
plans because do not have the necessary resources for it.

Until DataMaster will be ported to Protege 4.0 you can still import your
data/DB structure in owl using Protege 3.3.1 or Protege 3.4 beta, and
then open the owl file with Protege 4.0 to use the Protege 4.0 features
on the imported concepts.

Best,
Csongor