[protege-discussion] owl:equivalentProperty, protege 3.4, and pellet

rich hardy ontouser at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 12:06:18 PDT 2008

Hi,

Example: I have a very simple owl ontology that defines two
ObjectProperties.  I can open the ontology in Protege (3.4 501), and see the
two properties in the Properties tab.  Now, if include just one
'owl:equivalentProperty' statement in the ontology, then reopen the ontology
in Protege, the two properties are no longer shown in the Properties tab.
If I now try to check the consistency using Pellet 1.5.2 (direct), the
reasoner window opens and hangs with 'Synchronizing reasoner.  Updating
reasoner...".

Why is this happening - and is there anything I can do to fix it?  It works
fine in Protege 4, but we're using 3.4 for development.

Here is a simple ontology to illustrate the point.  If you remove the
owl:equivalentProperty line then it works fine.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rdf:RDF
   xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
   xmlns="http://example.owl#">
  <owl:Ontology rdf:about="http://example.owl#">
    <rdfs:comment>
            An example containing an equivalentProperty
  </rdfs:comment>
  </owl:Ontology>
  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="http://example.owl#property1"/>
  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="http://example.owl#property2">