[protege-discussion] WebProtege will not work properly!

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Fri Dec 12 17:33:17 PST 2008

Hello Jose,

Jose Cruz-Toledo wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have successfully followed the WebProtege Administrator's Guide found at
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeAdminGuide. After completing
> this guide I am able to see my webprotege welcome screen, I can login with my
> specified username and password. However, the problem that I'm facing is that I
> cannot open any of the ontologies.

Do you mean that no ontologies are listed in WebProtege for you to click
on?  Or, do you mean that you are getting load errors when you try to
open an ontology?

> Where should the ontologies be? In the root of where my Protege server is
> runing... namely: /<pathToProtege>/examples/ ? or in the root of my webprotege?
> /<pathToTomcat>/webapps/webprotege/ ???

You can put your ontologies wherever you want.  However, you must
specify the exact location of the ontologies in the Protege server's
metaproject.  This step is outlined on the wiki:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeAdminGuide#Configure_the_Protege_server.27s_metaproject

The "location" slot for instances of the Project class is where you
specify the location of your project.  If you use relative paths, they
should be relative to where the Protege server is executing from (the
root directory of your Protege server installation).

Once you've edited your metaproject, you need to make a copy of the
project and paste it to webapps/webprotege/projects/metaproject and
restart your Servlet container.  This step is also outlined on the wiki:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeAdminGuide#Copy_the_metaproject_to_your_Servlet_container

If you continue to have problems, it would be helpful for you to include
error messages from the log files of your Servlet container.

Jennifer