[protege-discussion] Object Properties between Class and instances

GEORGE LITSIOS litsiosgeorgios at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:24:45 PST 2008

> From: tar at ISI.EDU> To: protege-discussion at lists.stanford.edu> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:36:42 -0800> Subject: Re: [protege-discussion] Object Properties between Class and instances> > > On Dec 18, 2008, at 12:15 PM, GEORGE LITSIOS wrote:> > > Hello everybody,> >> > It is allowable in a owl-dl ontology to make an object property > > relation between a Class and an instance.> > Not really. In OWL-DL, object, datatype and annotation properties > must be disjoint. (http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#Header)> > > So, if you want to connect a Class to anything in OWL-DL you have to > use an AnnotationProperty without specifically making it an object or > datatype property.> > > To make this in protege i must set the relationship between all > > instances of the class (one by one) to the particulare instance i > > want from another class?> > That is different from a property relation between a class and an > individual.> That is setting a property relation between individuals.> > If you really want to have the property connect all individuals of one > class to a particular individual, you can specify that in the class > definition by using owl:hasValue as the restriction

This is what i want and thank you for your reply.
Is it sure that with a restriction such that everey individual from the class and it's subclasses will connected with the spesific individual from some othere class (sorry but i'm a little new in the field). Whit this approach is not needed to connecte every individual from the first class with a specific individual from the second class? (the property i use here is an object property).
.> > If you want to have an annotation from the class itself to a > particular individual, you will have to use the annotations input > widget to add an existing individual as an annotation to your class. > You might have to appropriately set the domain for your annotation > property. You might also need to change the annotations view into the > triples view using the little list icon on the annotations widget.>
Sorry again, but i have the impression that i have read that the annotation properties in owl-dl is not allowable to have a defined domain and range. Also this which make me  pondering is that in the protege at annotation properties we must define them as "annotation object property" or "annotation datatype properties", which confused me. Cause i had to use a tool from protege-frames, and after this i exported my frame ontoly to owl, and i had make all the changes needed to convert the owl file that was exported from protege frames, to owl-dl, finaly when i load the new "owl-dl" file at protege, ang i go at properties tab, there i have some annotation properties (with blue icon, which if you see at the top of the properties window this indicates  "annotation object properties")

The approach to make the convertion was this (i had to use the UMLS_TAB from protege frames, and every instance or class i inserted in my ontology,with the export from protege to owl, they had some common datatype properties on them e.g "synonym", that was not allowable at owl) : so i went at protege, at Project->Configure-> options_tab->Dispaly Hidden frames, and with drag and drop i make every datatype property i want "e.g. the synonym property i mention above" to annotation properties.  But to make the ontology finaly to be concsistent with owl-dl i have had to delete every definitions for domain and range from the annotation properties "this was made inside at the .owl file with the hand".  I did the above process because i need to have a synonym property for classes and for instance too.

So the question is "which is the diference between the two types of annotation properties "object and datatype annotation properties" ? (this distinction i have the sense that is not refered at W3C owl-dl definition).

Can you tell me if i'm wrong with the procedure i follow above?And why my annotation properties, in the proptege->properties tab, have the blue icon?