[protege-discussion] An instance as range of a property.

Niels Hoogeveen pd_aficionado at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 25 11:47:06 PST 2008

I am new to Protegé and to OWL and trying to create an ontology I'd like to
use for my website. I'd like to express the following.

I have a class named "Country".
I have an instance of "Country" named "United States of America"
I have an instance of "Country" named "Netherlands"

I have a class named "SubNationalTerritory" as a generic class for states,
provinces, departments.

I have a subclass of "SubNationalTerritory" called "USState" which instances
should be the 50 states of the United States of America.

I have a subclass of "SubNationalTerritory" called "NLProvince" which
instances should be the 11 provinces of the Netherlands.

I have a "partOf" property with domain "Thing" and range "Thing".

I'd like to create the following two sub-properties of "partOf":

* isNLProviceOf with "NLProvince" as domain and "Netherlands" as range.
* isUSState with "USState" as domain and "United States of America" as range.

When adding this into Protegé I am not able to set an instance of a class as
range of a property. When I manually change the OWL file and reload it in
Protegé, the instances "United States of America" and "Netherlands" become
classes as well as instances. Is this correct behaviour? Or is there any other
way to model the above scenario?