[protege-discussion] UMLS in Protege but not over the network

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 5 17:04:52 PST 2008

Mitch,

I found the place in code where the tab connects to the UMLS RMI server
(at //umlsks.nlm.nih.gov/KSSRetriever). Would it help if I would make
the server name configurable? Of course, this makes sense, only if you
are able to install the server locally.

It seems that all the interaction with UMLS is made through the KSS-API.
So, if KSS also supports the interaction directly with a file, then I
suppose it is not so hard to add this feature to the UMLS-Tab
implementation. We don't have currently resources to maintaining the
UMLS Tab, so if you want, please feel free to extend the current
implementation. If you would like to contribute the source back, we are
happy to distribute it together with Protege. This seems a feature that
would be useful to many users.

Tania