[protege-discussion] UMLS in Protege but not over the network

Mitch Harris maharri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:41:26 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 8:04 PM, Tania Tudorache <tudorache at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I found the place in code where the tab connects to the UMLS RMI server
> (at //umlsks.nlm.nih.gov/KSSRetriever). Would it help if I would make
> the server name configurable? Of course, this makes sense, only if you
> are able to install the server locally.

searching the UMLSKS website I find:

  http://umlsks.nlm.nih.gov/kss/servlet/Turbine/template/docs%2CDevelGuide%2Cchapter2.vm

which basically says that they're working on it but currently you
can't run a local KSS server. So the absolute easiest thing (run the
server locally, allow one to configure the name of the server for
UMLSTab) might be possible eventually, but is not possible right now.

The next level would be to bypass the UMLSTab and explicitly link the
two statically, that is using the Protege API and UMLS API on the
static downloaded UMLSKS files. Unfortunately, that has a higher
labor/time/learning curve cost to it.

Any suggestions to making this easier would be very welcome.

Mitch

> Mitch Harris wrote:
> > I want to include terms from UMLS in an ontology I'm developing with
> > Protege. I have used successfully in the past the UMLSKS service with
> > the UMLS tab. But now I happen to be behind a firewall where it is
> > possible but a bureaucratic nightmare to get the requisite port
> > opened.
> >
> > Surely it is possible to use Protege with the downloaded UMLS files.
> > But possible doesn't mean easy. Is there code/a tab that doesn't use
> > an IP address but rather the the local file location? Or some obvious
> > solution that I am missing?
> >
> > Thanks for any pointers,
> > Mitch

Mitch Harris