[protege-discussion] Running Protégé from a Windows Command Line

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Feb 14 08:29:52 PST 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 7:03 AM, O'Neill, Dennis wrote:

> I am trying to run Protégé from the command line under Windows XP so
> that I can specify a larger heap size; but I am having a problem. If
> I try either of the forms documented in the FAQ (http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#02.03
> ), I get the following error message:
>
> C:\Program Files\Protege_3.4_beta>java -jar protege.jar -Xmx500M
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/
> jgoodies/looks/plastic/PlasticTheme
>         at edu.stanford.smi.protege.Application.main(Unknown Source)
>
> I can run protégé.exe just fine from the protégé directory, but
> there doesn't seem to be any way to pass Java VM params from that
> command line.
>
> There are other reasons why I cannot just make the desired change in
> the Protege.lax file, so that method will not work.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You can't execute protege using the "-jar" flag, because the
protege.jar is not complete.

Instead, you will need to include more jar files on the classpath and
then specify the startup class directly.

At a minimum, you will need all of the jar files in the Protege
directory on the path.

Try
    java -classpath protege.jar:looks-2.1.3.jar:unicode_panel.jar -
Xmx500m edu.stanford.smi.protege.Application

Actually, since you seem to be running windows, I think you will need
to use the semi-colon version instead: