[protege-discussion] Converting OWL to ERD

Rob Dickens dickensr21 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 06:44:36 PST 2008

Hi to all!
   While I am not new to Protege, I have been monitoring this discussion board for some time, looking for questions and discussion similar to the below.

Coming from a Enterprise Data Architecture background, which has its roots in E-R modeling (Chen) and relational database theory (E.F. Codd), I am looking for real-world relevance and applicability of ontology modeling as a baseline conceptual information model to drive database designs.   There is a distinct linkage here at the conceptual level, where all enduring database designs start.

If a tool like Protege, had the capability to translate to a standard metadata exchange format (see OMG's CWM & XMI specifications) for information modeling (either in IE or IDEF1X, or even Case*Method (Barker) notation), this would be tremendous step in the right direction in getting the data management community involved and contributing to the development and advancement of ontology modeling as the premiere business modeling technique to complement business process modeling.

While I am interested in the answer to Natasa's question, I am also interested in more forward-looking ideas in consideration of the above.

Thanks,
Rob Dickens