[protege-discussion] Data types

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 20 11:30:16 PST 2008

Nafiye,

Nafiye Talas wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> We recently started working with Protege Frames within our company.
>
> I have some questions regarding the value types available in protege
> frames.
> Is there any possibility to add more types to that list? For example
> 'date'?

No, it is not possible to add new value types. However, there are
different solutions to your problem. See below.

> I found the plug-in date widget
> but that only captures the current date.
>
> What are the possibilities regarding data validation?

There are different solutions:

1. You write your own slot widget that does any kind of validation for
the type of value. For example, even if the date will be a slot of type
string, the user may enter the date through your own custom slot widget,
that could do all kind of validation. Or it could show a calendar widget
and the user will only be able to click to select a valid date.

2. Second solution uses a modeling approach for checking for violations.
You can define a class "Date" that has three template slots, year, month
and day of type Integer. You attach min and max numeric constraints to
these slots (e.g. month can range only from 1 to 12, etc.)
Then, a class that needs to reference a date, will have a template slot,
called "date" of value type Instance and allowed classes Date.
This approach gives you a very fine grained control over the date. For
example, you can query for all the date instances in a particular year
and so on. You will also be able to use the validation that protege
already does. So if somebody entered a date with a month with value 13,
he will see a red border around the invalid value. You also have API
access to these constraint violations.

There is also a tab widget, that checks and displays all the constrain
violations in an ontology, called the FacetConstraintsTab:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FacetConstraintsTab

> When creating instances there is still a lot of room for making
> mistakes when entering data.
> For example the slots that are mandatory can kept empty and will be
> saved. I would expect that it isn't possible to save without completing
> the mandatory slots.
This is something desirable, but it should not be enforced. An ontology
is usually developed in a step-wise manner, and there are stages in
which not all the value fields are filled, but the user would still want
to save the ontology and to be able to continue the work at some other time.

However, you can enforce this behavior if you want, by implementing your
own project plugin, that will check before the save whether there are
any constraints violations and notify the user about them.

I hope this answers your questions.

Tania