[protege-discussion] Converting OWL to ERD

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 20 12:15:19 PST 2008

Rob,

Rob Dickens wrote:
> Hi to all!
>    While I am not new to Protege, I have been monitoring this
> discussion board for some time, looking for questions and discussion
> similar to the below.
>
> Coming from a Enterprise Data Architecture background, which has its
> roots in E-R modeling (Chen) and relational database theory (E.F.
> Codd), I am looking for real-world relevance and applicability of
> ontology modeling as a baseline conceptual information model to drive
> database designs.   There is a distinct linkage here at the conceptual
> level, where all enduring database designs start.
>
> If a tool like Protege, had the capability to translate to a
> standard metadata exchange format (see OMG's CWM &
> XMI specifications) for information modeling (either in IE or IDEF1X,
> or even Case*Method (Barker) notation), this would be tremendous step
> in the right direction in getting the data management community
> involved and contributing to the development and advancement of
> ontology modeling as the premiere business modeling technique to
> complement business process modeling.
I totally agree with you. There are two plugins that use the XMI and MOF
to convert between an ontology and UML. If you are interested in this
approach, you may take a look at the UML backend [1] and XMI backend
[2]. The wiki pages have pretty good documentation. We do not have
currently funding for further development of these two very important
plugins, so we are very happy if someone from the community would like
to adopt them and continue their development.

Cheers,
Tania

[1]: http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UMLBackend
[2]: http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?XMIBackend