[protege-discussion] Protege Server lost connection to MySQL database

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Feb 21 02:54:50 PST 2008

Hi,    Has anyone else had a similar exception from Protege Server -
connection lost to database? I'm using MySQL 5.051 Community edition
and my server had been running for about 1.5 days with possibly more
than 8 hours idle time over night. When the server received the
database connection loss, it seemed to go into a funny state, locking
up a Protege Client that was connected at the time. The only way
forward was to restart the Protege server.   I've done some digging
and losing connections to MySQL 5 appears to be something that others
(in the wider Java community) have seen and it sounds like when MySQL
shuts down idle connections, any connection pools don't seem to get
notified of this.   Has anyone had a similar experience? Does the
Protege Server attempt to reconnect explictly (rather than relying on
the connection pool) with MySQL? Are there any recommended settings on
MySQL that have been used to avoid this? e.g. I've found a suggestion
to up the wait-timeout in MySQL from default of 8 hours to much more
to stop MySQL culling idle connections. I'm going to try putting this
to 36hours and see how that affects things.   Thanks   Jonathan
_______________________________________

- HEAD OF TECHNICAL ARCHITECTURE
ENTERPRISE ARCHITECTURE SOLUTIONS LTD

Mobile: +44 (0) 7904 198295
Email: jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com[1]
Web: www.enterprise-architecture.com[2]

ASSESS YOUR EA MATURITY AT:
www.enterprise-architecture.com/EAvaluator[3]

W O R L D    C L A S S    A R C H I T E C T U R E

Links:
------
[1] mailto:jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
[2] http://www.enterprise-architecture.com/