[protege-discussion] Protege as data access layer for "serious" multi-user application

Sergey V. Gerasimov gerasimov at mlab.cs.msu.su
Sun Jan 13 11:07:21 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm from Moscow State University.
We are working on project connected to developement of
customizable elctronical patient record system (EPR) with decision support fetures.

Can you please advise if Protege can be used in our project.
Open questions are as follows:

1. Can Protege API be used as data access layer for "serious" multi-user
application?
Can business logic of the application efficiently use Protege quering API?
Or Protege is additional framework for knowledge management tasks?

I found simple one-table relational default back-end plug-in and
article reg. motivation of this solution.
Slot values are stored as strings and if I understand correctly queries with
conditions x > 5 can't use database indexes (Am I right?)
But if I understood correctly custom backend plug-in can be implemented.
For example something like class->table and slot/property->column strategy.
I also found Protege server feature..
But question is open.

2. I didn't find form editor and database backend feature in Protege 4.0 Alpha.
Will this features implemented later or not?
Will 3.x versions of Protege supported in the next 2-3 years?

Thanks a lot!

Sergey Gerasimov,
MSU