[protege-discussion] Bug in OntoViz

A.C theinvisibletitan at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Jan 15 03:40:33 PST 2008

Hi,

 I found a problem about OntoViz installed with protege 3.3.1.
 A Similar problem is preveously mentioned in:
 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.general/5269/
 but it seems unrepaired yet.

 >> OntoViz writes its intermediate .dot-input files using the standard Java
 >> FileWriter class, which uses the 'default encoding' (whatever that may
 >> be).

 Not only .dot-input files but also .dot file depend on 'default encoding' and it is not utf8 in my environment.

 So,  charactor in JIS X 0212 (e.g. E-acute of Emile Durkheim) can't be represented in the .dot file.
 Moreover, we can't use Japanese charactor because dot.exe can recognize those charactor in UTF8 encoded file ONLY.

 I think I should repair this problem like below:
 >> You could make a change in the OntoViz ExportDot.java file and
 >>change the PrintWriter line (in the export method) into something like
 >>
 >>pw = new OutputStreamWriter(new FileOutputStream(fileName), "UTF-8");
 >>
 >>(make sure to declare the global variable pw as an OutputStreamWriter
 >>instead of a PrintWriter)
 >>This will make the OntoViz plugin _always_ write UTF-8 encoded files,
 >>independent of the default encoding.

 but I couldn't. I'm not good at programming and a lot of compile error hit me. (I googled error _expression and tried many times.)

 I hope someone  repair this problem.

 Aki