[protege-discussion] Protege as data access layer for "serious" multi-user application

Samson Tu swt at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 15 16:49:25 PST 2008

It depends on what you mean by 'serious multi-user application.'

It is difficult to write a new Protege backend. I don't expect you'll
want to use Protege's default database backend as the data
representation for your EPR data. You want other applications to query
data without going through Protege.

We've developed and deployed multi-user multi-clinic decision support
applications using Protege. We used Protege to encode the knowledge base
(the decision-support business logic). At runtime, we query a relational
database to get the needed data for decision-support purpose. We applied
the "business logic" to patient-specific data in Java (using Protege
API), as multiple queries to database turned out to be too inefficient.

Yes, eventually there will be a database backend in Protege 4.

Samson