[protege-discussion] MS SQL Server 2005 index maximum size exceeded during Project Conversion to ProtegeDB

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Jan 17 09:00:54 PST 2008

Hi everyone,   I've just tried to convert my project to the Protege
Database (File->Convert Project to Format...) to use a Microsoft SQL
Server2005 database. I'm using Microsoft's JDBC driver v1.2 but am
getting the following exception at the end of the conversion.    "
Exception class com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.
 Message: Operation failed. The index entry of length 1288 bytes for
the index 'repositorylive_I2' exceeds the maximum length of 900
bytes." All of my project data is loaded into the table but it fails
to create Index 2.    This project works fine with MySQL but
unfortunately, I need to use SQLServer2005.   There's nothing I can
do in SQLServer2005 to remove/raise the limit for the index size. The
solution Microsoft suggest is "in SQL Server 2005, you can include
nonkey columns in a nonclustered index to avoid the maximum index
size of 900 bytes." Unfortunately, all the keys/indices etc are
created by the Project Conversion code in Protege. Reading more from
Microsoft, they discuss using an include statement, using the example
of indexing on a nvarchar(400) column (which is what the 'short_value'
column in the Protege DB is created as) as follows:   Using the CREATE
INDEX statement with an INCLUDE clause to include the nvarchar column
without blowing the index size limit. e.g.   CREATE INDEX
IX_Document_Title ON Production.Document (Title, Revision) INCLUDE
(Filename)   where Filename is a nvarchar(400) column.   I'm not at
all sure about how you would do this using JDBC commands, though.
Has anyone seen this before - I believe the limit also existed on
previous versions of SQL Server - have any other suggestions?
Thanks for your help   Jonathan
- HEAD OF TECHNICAL ARCHITECTURE
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

ASSESS YOUR EA MATURITY AT: