[protege-discussion] Protege as data access layer for"serious"multi-userapplication

protege at ontospace.net protege at ontospace.net
Tue Jan 22 11:03:07 PST 2008

Hello Sergey,

I think in theory Protege can be used as a simple database application since it has all three tiers required for that. However, I see no benefit in using Protege back end as database tier for any "serios" application, except knowledge base. I do see a pottential benefit in enhancing Protege back end to provide better support for ontology sharing. But that is quite different from EPR application. What makes sense in your situation - is to use Protege as robust middle tier with available support for reach application meta-data, inference and Semantic Web interoperability. That does not exclude using your application back end for storing some Protege data.

You may be interested in the work I have done along these lines.
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/OntoBase