[protege-discussion] From UML to Ontologies?

Herwig Wens herwig.wens at nxp.com
Tue Jan 29 04:48:02 PST 2008

Dear Community,

Currently we are kicking off an enterprise architecture program in our
company.

We had a look at Protege and ontologies in general to see we could use this
as a way of storing our domain model.
Meanwhile we already had defined our domain model in UML.

Being not so familiar with ontologies -- I have a numbe of questions:
Which ontology flavor is the best option for describing a domain model?
I have tried the default flavor that come with the 4alpha versions, but I
found it very difficult to translate the UML model to this ontology flavor.
By looking at the tips and tricks, It sounds that Frames is a better
flavor? Is this true?
Has anyone has some tips and tricks in deriving an ontology from UML?

E.g., a part where I'm struggling with is to model a composite in OWL:

All ideas are welcome!

With kind regards,

Herwig Wens
Enterprise Architect
Information Office, Strategy & Architecture
NXP Semiconductors
herwig.wens at nxp.com