[protege-discussion] From UML to Ontologies?

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Tue Jan 29 11:32:49 PST 2008

In my company, we have used Frames (Protégé 3.3.x) to define our meta model
for capturing any Enterprise Architecture in its entirety. We translated it
pretty easily from the UML documentation of the META model which we had
devised already. Note, it was the meta model for an Enterprise Architecture
model not the model itself that we'd defined in UML before we implemented it
in Protégé Frames.
We run various reasoning reports against the model that we've captured to
support the various EA processes.

I'd agree with Thomas about being careful how you do sub-typing etc. but in
general I'd have to say that Protégé has been great and the way the classes
work in Frames has been just what we needed. We make a lot of use of the
Class hierarchy that you can build with Protégé Frames.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd
Mobile: +44 (0) 7904 198295