[protege-discussion] Limited number of classes

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Wed Jan 30 10:41:32 PST 2008

That number of classes should not cause you any problems, although you may
wish to consider using the Protege Database format for your project, rather
than the PINS and PONTS files.

In terms of getting that information into Protege, there are some tools
available to help.
If you haven't already defined your class hiearchy in Protege, have a look
at the DataMaster tab. This will create a class structure based on the
contents of a database (that it can see via JDBC). You can make your
spreadsheet appear as an ODBC source.

However, if you're in a similar situation to me, where you have a
well-defined set of classes and you want to create instances of those
classes directly from an outside source such as Excel, we've gone for an
approach where we export the Excel spreadsheet as XML (via an Access DB to
help improve the XML) and then we apply XSLT to that XML to create PINS
entries that we paste into the PINS file of our project. Such PINS hacking
needs to be done with care!

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd