[protege-discussion] Limited number of classes

Samson Tu swt at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 30 12:04:10 PST 2008

Alba Fuertes wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I pretend to develop a very extensive ontology with about 13.000
> classes. By now I have all these classes listed in an Excel file and my
> questions are:
>
> - Is possible in Protégé to introduce this huge amount of classes?
> Which problems could appear?

13000 classes shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a lot of other
things too.

> - If it was possible and bearing in mind that I have an Excel file, is
> there any other way to introduce the classes in Protégé without typing
> all again?

In a situation like this, I usually use the Protege Script tab to read
in a file and use Protege's API to create classes, instances or whatever.

Samson

Samson Tu                                   email: swt at stanford.edu
Senior Research Scientist                   web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Center for Biomedical Informatics Research  phone: 1-650-725-3391
Stanford University                         fax: 1-650-725-7944