[protege-discussion] Read-only slots?

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 3 16:33:16 PDT 2008

Hi Len,

I am not sure what you mean. One interpretation is that the values of a
slot for the instances of a certain class should be read-only. But there
are other interpretations, too.

In any case, Protege does not have an API level control access
mechanism. The isEditable call is not helping, because it is not used in
the API, but only in the GUI. One thing that is already available is to
have the ontology opened as read-only also for the programmatic access.

What are you trying to control? Do you want to configure the UI
programmatically to set a widget read-only (which is easy), or do you
want "real" access control at the API level - which is hard (e.g. you
have other software invoking the Protege API, and you want to throw an
exception if the caller tries to set the values of a slot). For the
first case, there is an easy solution. For the second case, there is a
complicated solution.

Tania