[protege-discussion] Question about query export

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 09:25:34 PDT 2008

Hi Nafiye,

Almost a classic data export problem - I had something similar when
importing text that had been entered manually in a recent project.
I'd like to clarify what's going on.
Even if you set the delimiters to something like '|' [pipe] and '~',
the export is still separating fields by the ',' and <enter>?

If you can, I'd recommend using delimiters that are not likely to
appear in the text that your users have produced. You can then use
these as the delimiters in Excel perhaps (?) or do a quick search and
replace on them in the CSV before importing to Excel. The other thing
you'd need to do before that is to replace all the ',' and <enter>
that users have inputted with something else otherwise Excel will get
confused as to what's a separator and what is cell content.

It's a tricky one, as the whole point of a CSV file is that the values
are separated by commas.
Have you tried using '"' (that's double quotes) as the slot delimiter?
In an attempt to escape the value of each slot?

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Assess your EA maturity at: