[protege-discussion] Question about query export

Nafiye Talas n.talas at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 11 00:58:40 PDT 2008

Hi Tania and Jonathan,

I also tried those delimiters (?, |, "", ^, ~) but unfortunatelly it does not change the 2 issues that are in the CSV file.
So indeed like Jonathan says the export is still separating fields by the ',' and <enter>.

If you can send me the jar file that would be great.

I hope that this new jar will solve the problem. Since it is not desirable to replace all the comma's ',' and <enter>
in all the instances.
Thanks both for the quick reply.

Nafiye

Hi Nafiye,We have fixed this problem for the next beta release. If you need it earlier, I can send you a jar.The new version of export will quote all new lines with double quotes and it will quote all double quotes with double quotes :) If this makes sense.. The idea is that Open Office Spreadsheet and Microsoft Excel understand this quotations and will import the data correctly.As for the slot value delimiter, Jonathan's advice is good: try to use a delimiter that is not used in your values. E.g. use "|".TaniaJonathan Carter wrote:> Hi Nafiye,>> Almost a classic data export problem - I had something similar when > importing text that had been entered manually in a recent project.> I'd like to clarify what's going on. > Even if you set the delimiters to something like '|' [pipe] and '~', > the export is still separating fields by the ',' and <enter>?>> If you can, I'd recommend using delimiters that are not likely to > appear in the text that your users have produced. You can then use > these as the delimiters in Excel perhaps (?) or do a quick search and > replace on them in the CSV before importing to Excel. The other thing > you'd need to do before that is to replace all the ',' and <enter> > that users have inputted with something else otherwise Excel will get > confused as to what's a separator and what is cell content.>> It's a tricky one, as the whole point of a CSV file is that the values > are separated by commas. > Have you tried using '"' (that's double quotes) as the slot delimiter? > In an attempt to escape the value of each slot?>> Jonathan>> __________________________________________> Jonathan Carter - Head of Technical Architecture> Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd>> Assess your EA maturity at:> www.enterprise-architecture.com/EAvaluator > <http://www.enterprise-architecture.com/EAvaluator>> __________________________________________>> On 10 Jul 2008, at 16:05, Nafiye Talas wrote:>>> Dear Community,>>  >> I'm using the export functionality within the query tab. >> And I'm bumping into problems:>>  >> 1. when a user entered a text with a comma ',' the text after the >> comma is put in a seperate field in excel >> 2. when a user entered a text with an <enter> the text after the >> enter is also put in a seperate field. >>  >> I tried a lot of different delimiter values but it no effect on the >> export file.>>  >> I will attach a picture of the export values, the instance and the >> exported file.>>  >> Thanks in advance for any help.>>  >> Nafiye Talas