[protege-discussion] Domain and Range of Subproperties

Carstens, Carola carstens at dipf.de
Tue Jul 15 08:10:38 PDT 2008

Dear Protégé community,

I am currently working on an ontology that integrates the Dublin Core and the SWRC vocabulary. I would now like to specify these vocabularies for my purposes by defining more specialized subproperties of the imported properties of Dublin Core and SWRC.

I noticed that in Protégé a subproperty always inherits the domain and range of the superproperty. For example, the property "dc:publisher" is defined with the domain "swrc:Document" and the range "swrc:Organization" and "swrc:Person". If I create a supbproperty of "dc:publisher" int the property tab, it also has the domain "swrc:Document" and the range "swrc:Organization" and "swrc:Person".

Nevertheless, I would like to define two subproperties of "dc:publisher" with more specific domains, having one property with the domain "swrc:Organization" and another one with the domain "swrc:Person".

If I create a subproperty of "dc:publisher" the automatically inherited domain and range classes cannot be deleted.
Nevertheless, I can create a new property "voc:publisher_Person" with the Domain "swrc:Document" and the range "swrc:Person" and then turn it into a subproperty of "dc.publisher" via drag & drop in the property tab. Invoking the Pellet reasoner for a consistency check does not lead to any error messages in this case.

Is there a reason why Protégé does not support this way of modelling subproperties whose domains or ranges specify that of the superproperty? Maybe I am missing some modelling paradigm that leads to inconsistency?

(I am working with the Protégé 3.4 beta version.)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Carola