[protege-discussion] pprj not saving meta-class

Len Yabloko protege at ontospace.net
Fri Jun 6 10:51:58 PDT 2008

Tania,

>Len,
>
>I understand from your email that you are using the XML Backend. Is this
>right?

No -  I using regular Protege files to save project, but problem only occurs when using *.pont and *.pins , no problem when using *.pprj with *.xml (it is  called "xml experimental")

>The undefined class message means that there is an instance of a class,
>for which you don't have any definition in the xml file. Could it be
>that the class was included from another project and the class is not
>found anymore (e.g. you removed the included project, or the included
>project is not found)? In any case, Protege will create the class for
>you and add it under a :UNDEFINED class.

No - I only use single file project and all classes are generated by sing Protege frame API (not direct user entries). Before project is saved all classes are defined, but when open after saving project I get errors (blow) and classes are shown :UNDEFINED.

>Second issue with the metaclass. From your description, it seems that
>the metaclass is abstract. The metaclass should not be abstract if you
>have classes that are instances of it. Is the message that you get
>similar to the one attached to this email? If the metaclass is abstract,
>the solution is to make it concrete, and you won't get that message anymore.

No - all my meta-classes are concrete, but when I click some generated top level meta-classes to open detail view I get message asking me if I want to make it abstract (and warning about existing instances).

It seems that common issue in both cases may be something about how I generate  meta-classes using API:

First I generate top level meta-class like this

DB = KB.createCls(reverseEngine.getCatalog(),TOPIC);

Then I define collection

DATABASE = Arrays.asList(new Cls[] {DB});

And later I generate child meta-class:

table = KB.createCls(tableName, DATABASE);

All meta-classes later get instance classes, but only non-leaf meta-classes lose definition when saving in *.pont, *.pins.