[protege-discussion] Protege-frames or Protege-OWL

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Jun 19 12:08:46 PDT 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 3:05 AM, M. jack wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have to do a medical ontology concerning cancer. At the begining,
> I was
> using Protege 4.0 alpha, because I thought it was the last version,
> and
> therefore the best one. But, now I am asking question to myself
> given that
> the ontology has to be used by an other application, and with
> protege-owl
> 4.0 I have the impression that it is not possible.

Normally what you would end up doing is use the Protege GUI to design
and edit your ontology.  You would then use the ontology in a program
of your own creation.  Using it in the program that you write can be
done in several ways.  You could use the Protege Java interfaces to
load the ontology and access the contents.  Or you could use some
other OWL interface.

> In fact, there will be some image processing first, to find every
> histological characteristics on images related to cancer, and then the
> ontology will deliver a diagnosis.

I'm not sure how you mean that the ontology will deliver a diagnosis.
Diagnoses are often arrived at using abductive inference, whereas the
subsumption reasoning supported by OWL is deductive inference.  That
doesn't mean that it won't be helpful to have a subsumption reasoner
as part of the process, but I would expect that you would need to add
additional reasoning machinery to actually achieve your goals.

But in any case, you can access the content of your ontology by using
the programming API to make specific assertions, run the reasoner and
extract information from the ontology.  So this will all work.