[protege-discussion] Creating an application using protege-OWL API to create Individuals using forms and graphwidgets

Sarah Semantic sarahsemantic at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 15:34:19 PDT 2008

Hi,
Please be patient with me as I am new into all of this and please I really need your help and advice.
I now know how to use protege, create an ontology and create instances using the individuals tab, I have also played quiet a lot with the graph widget. (I have been through most of the tutorials)
I now have to create a java application that will:
    - display an ontology (OWL file  in RDF/XML)(the user won't be able to modify it)
    -  allow a user to create instances of this ontology by either using forms or the graph widget facility.
I am using Eclipse and I have to use the protege OWL API.
I think I need in my interface:
 the OWL CLASSES Tab using the Properties view to display the ontology
the INDIVIDUALS tab as it is where the instances are created using the defined forms and for some slots the graph widget.
Once the individuals are created the OWL file in RDF/XML is update with the new instances.
Where do I need to start, do you have any simple example showing how to do this with the protege OWL API in Eclipse?
Where do I input an OWL file created using protege into my java application for it to be displayed and then updates using this application?
Is it possible? Please any help is very welcome as I am a beginner and so willing to learn and make progress.
Sarah