[protege-discussion] import instances from spreadsheet

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Wed Mar 19 03:36:33 PDT 2008

Hi,

There are some good tools for importing already in Protégé. However,
in my experience, the approach you take mostly depends on whether you
are importing into an empty project/ontology or whether you need to
map instances from your spreadsheet into an existing class hierarchy.
Based on this, I've tried a few approaches with success - ranging from
Excel->XML and then pasting the new instances into the PINS file of
the Protégé Project (a bit of a hack) to using the Script tab to add
instances through the API (more robust).

However, I'd recommend taking a look at the DataMaster Tab. It can
import instances from any JDBC or ODBC database. You can of course
present your Excel spreadsheet as an ODBC source. If you set up your
spreadsheet so that the columns in your sheet match the target
classes of the instances you want to import then it will bring them
all in for you.

If you need a more complex intepretation of the data you have in the
spreadsheet - i.e. a simple mapping isn't possible, then you could
look at exporting the spreadsheet as XML and then doing some XSLT
over it to create the script that will add the instances you need.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd
Mobile: +44 (0) 7904 198295