[protege-discussion] Protege XMLBackend bug?

M Flood mdflood at starpower.net
Wed Mar 19 17:37:10 PDT 2008

Greetings all:

I'm confronting what appears to be a bug in the Experimental XML Backend
for Protege 3.3.1.  I cannot find any references to this issue on the
Wiki or user forums (perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places).

When I save my frames ontology as XML, I frequently get lots of
duplicate slot declarations on the class elements, as is the case for
the "para" <class> declaration in this snippet:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<knowledge_base
	xmlns="http://protege.stanford.edu/xml"
	xsi:schemaLocation="http://protege.stanford.edu/xml
                    http://protege.stanford.edu/xml/schema/protege.xsd">

	<class>
		<name>SIMULATION</name>
		<type>:STANDARD-CLASS</type>
		<own_slot_value>
			<slot_reference>:ROLE</slot_reference>
			<value value_type="string">Abstract</value>
		</own_slot_value>
		<own_slot_value>
			<slot_reference>:DOCUMENTATION</slot_reference>
			<value value_type="string">Version 0.1</value>
		</own_slot_value>
		<superclass>:THING</superclass>
	</class>

	<class>
		<name>para</name>
		<type>:STANDARD-CLASS</type>
		<own_slot_value>
			<slot_reference>:ROLE</slot_reference>
			<value value_type="string">Concrete</value>
		</own_slot_value>
		<superclass>discussion_element</superclass>
		<template_slot>text</template_slot>
		<template_slot>text</template_slot>
		<template_slot>text</template_slot>
		<template_slot>text</template_slot>
		<template_slot>text</template_slot>
	</class>

blah blah blah ...

</knowledge_base>

It may be relevant that I define the classes in one ontology, which is
then included in a second ontology that comprises most of the instances
-- basically a TBox/ABox dichotomy.  The snippet above is from the
latter (with all of the defined instances elided, obviously).

Is this a known issue?  Are there workarounds?  If I download a more
recent release (e.g., the 3.4 beta), will I be better off?  Also, when
will the XMLBackend no longer be "experimental"?  (I think it's great.)

Lastly, please let me know if I shouldn't bother you directly with
questions like this.

Many thanks in advance -- Mark