[protege-discussion] Incremental Instance Loading

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon Mar 24 18:09:07 PDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 2:01 PM, O'Neill, Dennis wrote:
> Samson,
>
> It is not a case of needing to load instances on demand, but rather
> to programmatically create them on demand from an external source.
>
> For example, new oil wells are drilled in an oil field on a regular
> basis. My Protégé system has complete information as of a certain
> date (e.g., March 31, 2008). On April 30, I want to upload (new)
> information about the wells that have been drilled in the month of
> April. How can I load them into my existing knowledge base without
> keying them in manually?
>
> A “Load Instances” command (from a validly structured .pins file)
> would serve the purpose quite nicely.

Well, you could always build a plugin to do what you want.  Perhaps a
tab plugin or just a plugin that adds a menu item.  You could then
have your own custom Java code that reads a file of your choice and
uses the Protege API to insert the new instances.  You would thus get
complete control.

Although the database for storing the instances sounds like it might
be a good idea as well, since then you could do the incremental
updates and let the DB backend worry about the persistence.