[protege-discussion] Simple and nooby question about inference in Protegé

Matteo Montalto matteo.montalto at fastwebnet.it
Tue Mar 25 03:48:04 PDT 2008

Hello to you all, list :)
I'm a newbie and I'm using Protegé (4.0, build 58) to create/modify owl
ontologies in order to use them in my actual thesis work (that is, a
work based on Jena framework managing SWRL rules).
Well, a very simple question: I sketched a very basilar and simple
"family" ontology in order to check the behaviour of some rules.
As an example:
- Person is a subClass of (owl:)Thing;
- Parent is a subClass of Person;
- Stephanie is a Person; she's also subject in a property assertion,
stating that hasChild (Stephanie, Sara) (meaning trivially that Sara is
Stephanie's son);

Now; i tried to create a rule (in SWRL Rules tab) in order to check out
owl:restriction constructs in rules. So, the rule is simple:
(hasChild min 1 Thing)(?x) -> Parent(?x)
that in my idea :) means:
"everything that is the subject in at least one property assertion of
hasChild *is* a parent". Is it correct?
Assuming it's correct; I expected, after a realize phase (Reasoner ->
Pellet 1.5), to see under Description: Stephanie that Stephanie belongs
to the class Parent. But that's not the case, Stephanie belongs only to
  Person... can someone help me realizing what's the problem in this
simple test?
Thanks in advance ;)