[protege-discussion] Incremental Instance Loading

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Tue Mar 25 15:26:46 PDT 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 5:54 AM, O'Neill, Dennis wrote:
> I agree on the usefulness of the DB backend for on-going management.
>
> I've taken a quick look at the Protégé source. Is there an
> architecture/design document that describes the overall structure?
> It seems that using the existing code that loads the .pins file
> would be a good place to start, but it is not obvious where this is
> done.

I personally wouldn't bother with pins format, but instead just pick
something that I found easy to parse, either plain text or XML.  Then
I would just go through that file and create the instances and assign
property values, using the standard API functions to do the instance
creation and property assignments.  See <http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/kb-api.html
 >.  For example:

    Cls c = KnowledgeBase.getCls("className");
    Instance i = KnowledgeBase.createInstance("instanceName", c);
    Slot s = KnowledgeBase.getSlot("slotName");
    Object value = ...;
    i.addOwnSlotValues(s, value);   // from Frame.

etc.