[protege-discussion] Connect with Database

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 27 16:30:15 PDT 2008

Hi Paul,

Paul Smith wrote:
> I tried to convert my project into a database, but it keeps messaging that the jdbc driver is not in the classpath. In effect I have modified the classpath environment variable and copy/rename the driver as suggested by the guidelines in:
> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/projects/saving_a_database_project.html and also edited  Protégé.lax to add the driver,  but unsuccessfully.

You don't need to modify the Protege.lax file.  In the default Protege
installation, the LAX file already has the "lax.class.path" variable
properly configured as such:

lax.class.path=protege.jar;looks-2.1.3.jar;unicode_panel.jar;driver.jar;driver0.jar;driver1.jar;driver2.jar...

This is why the instructions say to copy your database driver(s) to the
root directory of your Protege installation and rename it/them to
"driver.jar", etc.  If you copied your database driver(s) into the root
directory of your Protege installation and renamed it/them to
"driver.jar", etc., Protege will recognize them.

How are you launching Protege?  Are you double-clicking on the
executable file?

> The strange fact is that the other plugins, for example DataMaster, are able to find the driver (I am actually using mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin),
> whereas only the default driver (sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver) it is found by the export tool.

DataMaster comes with a MySQL JDBC driver in it's own plug-in directory
that it uses.  So, the fact that DataMaster is working is not related to
the other problems you are having with saving your file project to a
database.

Jennifer