[protege-discussion] Connect with Database

Paul Smith paulsmith7777777 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 05:15:52 PDT 2008

Jennifer Vendetti <vendetti <at> stanford.edu> writes:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul Smith wrote:
> > I tried to convert my project into a database, but it keeps messaging that
the jdbc driver is not in the
> classpath. In effect I have modified the classpath environment variable and
copy/rename the driver as
> suggested by the guidelines in:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users_guide/projects/saving_a_database_project.
html and
> also edited  Protégé.lax to add the driver,  but unsuccessfully.
> >

> You don't need to modify the Protege.lax file.  In the default Protege
> installation, the LAX file already has the "lax.class.path" variable
> properly configured as such:
>
> lax.class.path=protege.jar;looks-
2.1.3.jar;unicode_panel.jar;driver.jar;driver0.jar;driver1.jar;driver2.jar...

> This is why the instructions say to copy your database driver(s) to the
> root directory of your Protege installation and rename it/them to
> "driver.jar", etc.  If you copied your database driver(s) into the root
> directory of your Protege installation and renamed it/them to
> "driver.jar", etc., Protege will recognize them.
>
> How are you launching Protege?  Are you double-clicking on the
> executable file?
>
> > The strange fact is that the other plugins, for example DataMaster, are
able to find the driver (I am
> actually using mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin),
> > whereas only the default driver (sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver) it is found
by the export tool.

> DataMaster comes with a MySQL JDBC driver in it's own plug-in directory
> that it uses.  So, the fact that DataMaster is working is not related to
> the other problems you are having with saving your file project to a
> database.
>
> Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer,

I was already aware about the "driver.jar" trick in the Protégé.lax file.
Later I realized that the problem in converting the project to a database
format was due to a wrong driver name that I used in the connection panel, the
correct name of driver is:  org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

Paul