[protege-discussion] No ontologies showing in WebProtege 0.5 alpha installation

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 3 18:13:03 PST 2008

Hello Simon,

Polz, Simon wrote:
> I have installed the WebProtege 0.5 Alpha release. I have followed the instructions on http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeAdminGuide - the WebProtege loads nicely and the log entries show that the metaproject has been loaded (some warnings appear - see the log attached below).

I just wanted to clarify something here.  The messages you see in the
log like the following:

INFO: Found project def in metaproject: Wines at: examples/wines/wines.pprj

... are just an indication that a valid project exists on disk.  If the
Protege server is not running and you tried to open one of the projects
in the My WebProtege tab, you would get a dialog with a failure
message.  The Protege server is responsible for loading the available
ontologies.

Also, I looked over the warning messages that appear and they are
benign.  We are seeing the same thing in our logs, so they are not the
cause of this issue.

> The problem is that no ontologies show up in the web interface. I have verified and falsified the log-in so it is reading the metaproject in the webprotege/projects/metaproject folder.

I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce this here.  What browser are
you using?

> And there seems to be no connection the protege server because it doesnt make any difference if it is running or not.

WebProtege will list available ontologies regardless of whether the
server is running.  It finds information about available projects in the
copy of the metaproject in the webprotege/projects/metaprojects folder.
You will run into problems when you try to open any of the ontologies if
the server is not running.

> So my guess is that the web application doesn't know where to connect to - and i have not found any information on how to point it to the protege server - is there any?

No, there is nothing special you need to configure.

Are you using Tomcat 5.5?  Or, perhaps a newer version?

Jennifer