[protege-discussion] Protege and Source Control

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Fri Nov 7 09:49:21 PST 2008

Hi Matt,

Normally, when I used Protege with more than 1 user, I use the client-
server mode, which works well for multi-users and can track changes
etc. However, I appreciate that if you are working collaboratively but
offline, that this isn't going to work for you.

One option to try would be to zip up the PINS, PONT and PPRJ files
into an archive that a version control tool could manage as some kind
of 'blob'.

However, what I've done in lieu of anything too technical is just
applying good practice with using the project - passing the 3 files
around and before releasing my work back to the group doing a File-
 >SaveAs and manually updating the version number - Protege
synchronises the 3 files from that perspective. So, I received
project_v1.0.pprj, work on it and save it back as project_v.1.1.pprj
(or something) before lodging it with the group.

Clearly, you need to organise a way of "checking out" the project for
editing, but in practice, for a small-ish group this is workable. For
larger groups, the multi-user Protege is really the best way forward.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Assess your EA maturity at: