[protege-discussion] beginner questions

Jason Sachs jmsachs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 08:04:46 PST 2008

I have some really basic questions about Protege; am very excited to
use it as it looks like a good way to organize a knowledge base that I
was having trouble managing. (started to use Semantic Mediawiki but it
got cumbersome, good interactive but not-so-good for programmatic
access)

I have setup a project called EngKB on a server using MySQL for the
database. So far so good, I can access the project from my desktop PC.

I'm starting off with trying to organize all the US Patent PDF files
I've got, that seems like a simple beginner's project. Right now I
just have a class called Patents and with slots Country (string,
default value US) and Number (string since sometimes there are alpha
chars).

The Instance Browser pane shows autogenerated names like
"engkb_Instance_0". How can I change this to be something meaningful?
The example projects don't seem to have the autogenerated names.

The rest of my questions revolve around how to build up the patent
ontology from the fields provided by the USPTO website & I have to
think about that a little more....

When you are creating slots, is there a way to make them
domain-specific? it looks like right now for slots there is just a
flat list... really it seems like they each (should) have context. I
guess what I'm looking for in the long run is a way to have a
knowledge base with several "clouds" or subdomains which are mostly
different but could have cross-links between them, & not sure how to
do this with ontology tools.... I suppose I could rename the "Number"
slot to "Patent Number" or "patent:Number" (e.g. use prefixes to
denote domain hints) but that seems kludgy.