[protege-discussion] slots

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Wed Nov 12 12:49:43 PST 2008

Hi Jason,

No, there's no date / time slot. I normally use a String for this.
Might be worth checking the Protege add-ons / widgets to see if
someone's made a date / time slot widget that validates that the
entered string is a proper date/time.

For the units, again, as far as I am aware, there's nothing that does
what you describe. However, it's important to note that semantics are
very important for slots and it's better to be as specific as
possible. So, I would recommend have a float-value slot that is
defined to be for one unit type - e.g. length_in_mm - only and if you
need to optionally capture the length in inches, have a
length_in_inches slot. That way, anything/anyone interrogating the
ontology will know what units the value is by the slot that's used,
not from any string characters in the slot value. After all, 3 inches
is not the same as 3mm!
My recent experience is that it is best to have multiple slots that
have specific semantics rather than fewer slots that can have multiple
interpretations (which leads to confusion). I've had to refactor my
class structure to resolve this recently.
I realise that this might seem a bit odd compared to normal
engineering practise but the ontology is all about precise semantics
and it makes the Protege forms clearer to use.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd
Mobile: +44 (0) 7904 198295